08 January, 2008

Arrival

I'm here! We got into Auckland yesterday afternoon after many, many hours of traveling. The trip was long and not the most enjoyable experience of my life, but the important thing is that we're here. Last night, in an attempt to get over jet lag by not going to sleep at 3pm, we went out for dinner at a sweet Greek restaurant called the Bar and the Baa and I had my first taste of New Zealand lamb (and New Zealand beer). After dinner, we took the bus into the city and walked around for awhile, then settled into an Irish pub, playing American pop music, serving New Zealand beer. I was totally exhausted, but I think it's a good thing that I gave in and went out.

As soon as we got back to the lodge (a hostel, of sorts), I went to bed for a very, very good sleep. We got up and went to a strawberry farm and had pancakes for breakfast. Today, we're headed to Whanganui to stay at a Quaker retreat center, but not before a very long bus ride. I'm so excited and relieved to be here, even if I'm still pretty tired.

That's all for now, hope all is well wherever you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen!!! I'm so glad you survived your hours and hours and hours of traveling, lay overs, and more traveling! I miss you!!!